I'm about to take a short break from blogging these days and heading out on the road shortly with Calgary's Decidedly Jazz Danceworks' production of Family of Jazz.
If you are in the Calgary area please check us out this week September 22nd and 23rd www.decidedlyjazz.com or if you are in Toronto we'll be performing as part of the Fall For Dance North festival on September 30th and October 1st-2nd www.ffdn.com
See you soon Toronto!
In the meantime here's plenty of interesting things to check out:
1) Tyshawn Sorey Loves to Confound from Bandcamp
2) Dafnis Prieto on the creative process and his new album Cantar from Jazz.FM 91
3) Ronan Guilfoyle interviews Jamey Haddad for his podcast The Art & Science of Time:
4) Thomas Wendt continues with his Jazz Drumming Essentials for The Drum Candy Podcast:
...an interview with the Jazz Maniac Kenny Washington:
...and this interview with the great Andy Watson:
Keep up the great work Thomas!
5) Aldo Mazza interviews Terri Lyne Carrington and John Riley:
6) Han Bennink plays a solo improvisation at the Bishopsgate Institute in London:
7) UNT professor Quincy Davis continues with his always incredible and informative Q-Tips series on YouTube including a guest appearance by the one and only Geoff Clapp!
8) Drum Channel's Lombardi Live! interviews the great Harold Jones:
9) Dr. Jazz Talks Samo Salamon interviews Bill Goodwin:
10) Pianist Emmet Cohen features Lenny White on "Joshua":
...and Joe Saylor on "After You've Gone":
11) Classic Jeff "Tain" Watts with Kenny Kirkland:
12) Some ferocious drumming from Cindy Blackman recorded at the 2020 Drumeo Festival:
13) Time to Connect podcast features Kendrick Scott and Johnathan Blake:
14) Pause and Effect: a duet between drummer Drori Mondlak and vibraphonist David Friedman:
15) Congratulations to Billy Drummond and his band Freedom of Ideas on their latest release Valse Sinistre with features from:
Look for an exclusive Four on the Floor interview with Billy Drummond coming in October!
16) Dig this footage of the legendary tap dancer Jimmy Slyde and Rakalam Bob Moses in this Percussion Discussion:
17) Dig this one of Max Roach playing with the brushes:
18) Thank you to Brandon Toews and Drumeo for the shout out in this feature on Elvin Jones:
19) What am I listening to these days?
Neil Swainson "Fire in the West" - Lewis Nash (drums)
Allison Miller & Carmen Staff "Nearness" - Allison Miller (drums)
Alan Jones "You Took Me Home" - Alan Jones (drums)
Kenny Clare & Ronnie Stephenson "Drum Spectacular" - Kenny Clare and Ronnie Stephenson (drums)
Billy Drummond & Freedom of Ideas "Valse Sinistre" - Billy Drummond (drums)
20) And today's Final Word goes to bassist MonoNeon who shared his inspiring art manifesto:
....and to John Riley who offered this motivating statement:
"It's easy to be mediocre at the drums!"
- John Obi-Wan Gandalf Riley (Yoda)
(via Ferenc Nemeth)