Thank you to everyone who has been tuning into my weekly Instagram interview series Four on the Floor *Live* happening every Tuesday evening. I've really been learning a ton from all the artists who have generously taken time out of their daily lives to speak with me. Thank you for all your ongoing support.
Please tune in tomorrow Tuesday, April 20th at 7pm mountain (9pm eastern) on Instagram IGTV @fouronthefloorblog for my interview with Dr. Colleen Clark www.collendrums.com
Okay, so here's what's in the queue for this months column:
1) A pair of articles from Jazz Times magazine including:
- Carl Allen remembers Charli Persip
- Steve Swallow on Pete LaRoca
2) The Drum History Podcast featured this episode on Alan Dawson and big thanks to Steve Fidyk for also sharing this tribute to Alan Dawson:
4) Check out this free on-line concert and get your rhythm fix from CAP UCLA featuring Zakir Hussain and The Masters of Percussion with Marcus Gilmore on drums
6) Creative Conversations with percussionist Warren Smith:
7) Jack DeJohnette interviewed by Dekel Bor for "Speakin' My Piece":
8) A wonderful interview with Lewis Nash, interviewed by Bret Primack:
And thank you to Peter Erskine for reminding us of Nash's amazing solo drum rendition of Eddie Harris' Freedom Jazz Dance:
9) UNT's Professor of Jazz Drums Quincy Davis continues with his on-going and prolific Q-Tips series on YouTube.
Check these out!
Don't forget to check out Quincy's ongoing interview series Drummer 2 Drummer on Instagram @qdjazz
10) A spotlight on Ulysses Owens Jr. thanks to the nice people at the Avedis Zildjian Company:
Make sure to check out Ulysses' excellent book Jazz Brushes for the Modern Drummer!
11) Antonio Sanchez performs his original composition Leviathan with Chris Potter on tenor saxophone and Scott Colley on bass:
12) Pianist Rossano Sportiello featuring Kenny Washington on the brushes:
13) Jerome Jennings offers this informative webinar masterclass on The Art of Big Band Drumming:
14) Some rare recordings of British drummer Kenny Clare demonstrating some brushwork and uptempo timekeeping:
15) A rare recording of this beautiful trio featuring Geri Allen on piano, Terri Lyne Carrington on drums and Esperanza Spalding on bass:
16) Check out this rare Philly Joe Jones drum feature!
17) What am I listening to these days?
Dick Oatts "Standard Issue" - James Oblon (drums)
Thelonious Monk "Monk's Dream"- Frankie Dunlop (drums)
Steve Lacy "The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy" - Roy Haynes (drums)
Gary Burton "Like Minds" - Roy Haynes (drums)
Fredrik Kronkvist "Afro-Cuban Supreme" - Jason Marsalis (drums)
The Young Tuxedo Brass Band "Jazz Begins"
Various Artists "Batucada - The Sound of Favelas"
Patrick Boyle "LULL"
18) And today's Final Word goes to Dame Evelyn Glennie with this reminder and important words of wisdom:
*If you like what you are seeing/reading/listening to please consider subscribing to my mailing list. Just click on the subscription box on the right side of my page. Don't miss out and sign up to receive regular Four on the Floor updates to your inbox today!*