WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, November 9, 2020

Andrew Cyrille Solo and More! *revisited*


I've really been enjoying Andrew Cyrille's solo works of late and this took me down a bit of an internet rabbit-hole (which is always a good thing!) I find Cyrille's drumming to be very compelling and since I've been playing a lot of solo drums on my own these days (while also playing with records, play-a-longs, loops, the metronome, etc.) I've taken a lot of inspiration from Cyrille's musical approach to dealing with the drums on their own (and of course I will say the same about his playing with others as well...I was also really inspired by a recent trio set featuring Joe Lovano and Ben Street, live-streamed from the Village Vanguard).

I've shared a few of these items before but for my own sake and interest, here they are again plus some others. 

Anyways, here's a few pieces that inspired me lately:

 

 

And here are a series of articles and interviews worth reading:

- Jazz Times Magazine features Andrew Cyrille: Art & Science Part 1 Part 2

- An interview with Dave Douglas from the Greenleaf Music Podcast

- A 2016 New York Times article written by Nate Chinen

- A duet between Andrew Cyrille & Victor Lewis (this is amazing!)

- Cyrille remembers Cecil Taylor

 

Cyrille's discography is quite extensive to say the least (!) so I asked my friend and Toronto drummer Nick Fraser for a few of his suggestions. 

Nick was kind enough to take some time to consider my inquiry and here is what he had to offer via e.mail (thanks Nick!):


"Andrew Cyrille: One of the most consistent artists in jazz. I've never heard him play on a bad record. 

Here are a few of my faves:

The Hawk Relaxes - Coleman Hawkins

A mostly ballad session that might be Cyrille's debut recording. Not a typical record of his, and there are a few of those early in his career.  Bill Barron's Hot Line with Booker Ervin is another.

The records with Walt Dickerson. He recorded many with this under-appreciated vibraphonist. I've been looking for the vinyl of this one, but haven't found it.


Anything with him and Cecil Taylor. 

Sunny Murray and Tony Oxley also played on some classic Cecil, but I really think that Andrew had a touch and ear for Cecil's music that remained unmatched. 

Jimmy Lyons' Other Afternoons is another Cecil-adjacent album that has some great Cyrille on it.

Leroy Jenkins: Space Minds New Worlds, Survival of America and John Carter's Castles of Ghana. These records are masterpieces.

 

Carla Bley: European Tour 1977. Interesting to hear him play some large(ish) ensemble music.


I almost forgot my very fave! Burnt Offering (duo w. Jimmy Lyons)"

1 comment: