WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, June 3, 2019

Jon McCaslin's Tribute to Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers












I have a cool gig coming up in a few weeks and I hope you can all make it.

Art Blakey has been a significant influence on me since I first started playing the drums and on this occasion I've put together a great band to pay tribute to one of Jazz music's most important band leaders and hardest swinging drummers (Blakey was born in 1919 and would have been 100 years old this year!) I've spent hours and hours listening to and studying Art Blakey's music of the years and his example as a hard swinging drummer that truly serves the music has long left an impression on me.

It's rare that I'm asked to put together a tribute project such as this (although recently I did present a trio project with pianist George Colligan and bassist Jodi Proznick to play the music of pianist Herbie Nichols last February at the Yardbird Suite in Edmonton, AB) but when I do it's because it is music that I believe in and has had a profound influence on me.

I never met Art Blakey or had the opportunity to hear him play live so I suppose musical opportunities such as this are my small way of saying "Thank You".

Presented by JazzYYC, we'll be playing at the newly restored King Eddy Hotel, now part of the National Music Centre, located in the East Village (Calgary, AB). I also have a great group of world-class musicians to play with and look forward to an evening of high-energy, hard-swinging music for you all to enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------

JazzYYC Summer Jazz Festival Presents:

Jon McCaslin's Tribute to 
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

Thursday, June 13th                            9:30pm

Appearing at the King Eddy                 438 9th Avenue SE

Tickets: $25 Students $15

Featuring:

Dean McNeill - Trumpet

Jeremiah McDade - Tenor Saxophone

Al Kay - Trombone

Mark Limacher - Piano

Steve Shepard - Bass

Jon McCaslin - Drums

For ticket information please visit:

https://www.jazzyyc.com/jazz-events/john-mccaslin-tribute-to-art-blakey-the-jazz-messengers/


No comments:

Post a Comment