WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Chris Smith - The Drum Hang Vol. 1



I am really digging this new series of YouTube video lessons from Chris Smith these days, entitled "The Drum Hang". His topics are relevant and explanations very concise and informative. Lots of great information to be found here. Personally, I've been shedding his Edgar Bateman and Al Foster tom tom moves all week and will transcribe his recommended Shelly Manne solo from "Way Out West" next.

I asked Chis a few questions about "The Drum Hang" and this is what he had to say:

"As for The Drum Hang I will be posting a new episode each week, so this is just the beginning! I love sharing things with other drummers and I thought this YouTube series was a good way to go about doing that. Currently I am not teaching at the University level, something I have done and love to do, so these videos serve as an outlet for me to remain actively teaching these concepts to students all around the world. Of course most episodes will be applicable to students of any age or skill level, but most geared to college level students. I do hope to eventually have more and more viewers sharing their versions of the exercises not only with me but with all the viewers of The Drum Hang. I plan to accept videos of people adding to or working on things that I post, then adding them to the Drum Hang portion of my website. I want to build a real "hang" or community vibe to this, so as it evolves I will figure out how to make that user friendly.

Please let your readers know:

1) The Drum Hang page on my website is the best for viewing the episodes, as it not only has the videos but also transcriptions that go with each topic 
(*ed. note - vist his website here: http://www.chrissmithjazzdrums.com)

2) New Episodes weekly 

3) I hope to create a "hang" around these topics. I would love to have people show me what they are working on or how my concepts helped or not!"










Thanks again Chris and we hope to see more lessons up soon. If you keep making them, we'll keep posting them!

No comments:

Post a Comment