WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, July 8, 2013

Tyshawn Sorey Meets Pedrito Martinez

Well, I thought this was pretty bad ass when I stumbled across it...

Here's Cuban-born percussionist Pedrito Martinez and drummer/visionary Tyshawn Sorey engaged in an intense percussion discussion:



This is the kind of thing I'd like to see more of, that is to say a drummer and percussionist working together to create some deep grooves. All too often either one or the other will end up over playing (as I've witnessed all too often!) I'm thinking that later this summer, when I have some time, I'll give a call to my favourite Cuban percussionists here in Calgary and get some serious rhythm sessions happening over at my place.

I recently played at the Saskatchewan Jazz Festival with Canadian alto saxophonist PJ Perry and a stellar big band. The Outer Bridge Ensemble (from New York) was the band in residence and played several shows as well as hosting a great nightly jam session at the Bassment. I was really impressed with how drummer Jerome Jennings and percussionist David Freeman really worked together, never overplaying nor stepping on either's rhythmic toes. The balance between the two was perfect. I'd venture to say that's the bar that we drummers and percussionist should strive towards when playing together. Thanks for the lesson Jerome and David!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I recommend you check out the following Elvin Jones recordings. Coalition: with Candido Camero & Time Capsule: with Angel Allende. Joe Farrell's Outback has some great playing with Elvin and Airto Moreira.

    ReplyDelete