WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Monday Morning (Double) Paradiddle



- Was a busy weekend for me here in Calgary. I'm still trying to catch up with our house renovations that didn't get finished before I left for Italy a month ago. But the end is in sight !

- I had a great hit on Saturday subbing in for drummer Jonathan May at the Broken City with the Calgary based organ trio Sinistrio. I had a blast playing there funky and creative tunes. Those guys really know how to groove AND stretch. In many ways I think of Sinistrio as being like Calgary's version of the Medeski, Martin and Wood trio. I hope to have the opportunity to play with these great musicians again in the future.

- Here's an exciting upcoming gig I'm going to advertise today...I am playing with Bryan Vance and his Sax Coalition at the Ironwood Bar & Grill this coming Thursday evening. We'll be performing music from the infamous Super Sax band and a few other arrangements from members of the band (including two by yours truly).

I've really been enjoying studying this music, in particular checking out those old Super Sax recordings with none other than the super swinging Jake Hanna holding down the drum chair.

Don't miss this evening of some dizzy saxophone playing !



The Sax Coalition - Featuring the music of Charlie Parker and Super Sax

Thursday, October 7 - 8:00pm

The Ironwood Bar & Grill

Tickets $15

- Last Thursday I had the privilege of hearing pianist Amanda Tosoff's quartet from Toronto with Chris Gale on tenor, Sean Cronin on bass and Morgan Childs on drums. Outstanding playing from everyone. I really dig the Duke Ellington influence on Amanda's very tasteful piano playing. They are currently on an extensive tour of Canada so make sure to catch this band if you have the opportunity.

- I'm really looking forward to this upcoming weekend. I'll be traveling to Vancouver to hear pianist Renee Rosnes with her quartet consisting of Lewis Nash on drums, Steve Nelson on vibraphone and Peter Washington on bass play on both Friday and Saturday nights. I'm sure it will be cookin' at the Cellar this weekend ! Nash is always an exciting drummer to watch and listen too. I'm expecting a literal masterclass in the art of Jazz drumming those evenings.

- And finally, here's Miles Davis as you've never heard him before:

No comments:

Post a Comment