WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Michael Carvin Unleashes



Special thanks to Dublin's Conor Guilfoyle who hipped me to these two of his former teacher playing with Freddie Hubbard and Junior Cook:





Wow! I really found this one quite inspiring and I'm going to make a point of buying the DVD with the entire concert. I really admire the overall vibe and intensity that they are playing with. You can tell that these guys play like their lives depend on it ! Carvin also plays with a distinctive influence and vocabulary drawn from Tony Williams and Elvin Jones although in a different way than some of his contemporaries such as Jack DeJohnette. I'm digging his cymbal beat and the rich sound he gets from the entire drum set. There is a sense of flow there....well, back to the 'shed (as they say!)

No comments:

Post a Comment