I'm going to be taking my annual summer break from blogging and social media shortly, so this Monday Morning Paradiddle will be my last blog post until September. Fortunately for us, our correspondents have been quite busy, compiling a great list of articles and clips to check out over the remainder of the summer months. Hope you dig it.
- Chicago's Dana Hall featured in Modern Drummer magazine:
- I recently performed with Jazz great Sheila Jordan earlier this summer in Calgary. Here's a nice article from the Calgary Herald about this incredible women:
- Thanks to Tim Mah who forwarded this new podcast series from Lenny White (including interviews with Ron Carter and Mike Clark!):
And....this interview with Rodney Green:
- Brian Blade interviewed by The Trap Set:
And also a recent feature from the Globe & Mail:
- CBC Radio recently aired a wonderful piece on Sheila E and other great female drummers who've battled all sorts of societal obstacles and challenges in the music industry:
Also from CBC radio, a feature on John Coltrane's recently unearthed quartet album featuring Elvin Jones:
- Thanks to Patrick Boyle for hipping me to this 1971 WKCR interview with Elvin Jones:
- Hey look! It's a rare recording of Elvin Jones with the Duke Ellington Orchestra circa. 1966:
I don't think this arrangement lasted long (!) but it was nice while it lasted.
- Ethan Iverson on the legacy of Lorraine Gordon:
- From Jazz Profiles, a two-part feature on Philly Joe Jones:
Part 1 http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/wonder-of-philly-joe-jones-part-1.html
Part 2 http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/wonder-of-philly-joe-jones-part-2.html
- Some awesome bootlegs featuring Canadian Jazz Drumming Legend Claude Ranger courtesy of Scott White:
- Even more Claude Ranger, this time thanks to Montreal's Mike Rud who shared this personal recording of "Holy Land":
- Antonio Sanchez playing great, in a somewhat awkward interview:
- Adam Nussbaum always has GREAT things to say. Listen to his two-part interview from Drummer Nation:
And even more from the nice people over at Drummer Nation, an interview with Joe LaBarbera:
There will be more coming from Adam Nussbaum, here at Four on the Floor, in the fall so stay tuned.
- Eric Harland! Oh wow!
- Joe Farnsworth going for it, in Italy, on A Night in Tunisia:
- A few wise words from Ralph Peterson Jr.:
- Chris Smith recently started his own on-line teaching platform via YouTube entitled The Drum Hang. Here's the first instalment, featuring some important ideas on ride cymbal technique:
- I performed with Edmonton saxophonist PJ Perry a few years ago on a tribute to the music of Charlie Parker. Someone recently sent me this clip and you can hear me warming up in the background Lol:
- What am I listening to these days?
Solon McDade "Murals" - Rich Irwin (drums)
Cory Weeds Little Big Band "Explosion" - Jesse Cahill (drums)
Grant Stewart "TRIO" - Phil Stewart (drums)
Mike Allen Quartet featuring Hugh Fraser "Panorama" - Julian McDonough (drums)
Sheila Jordan "Portrait of Sheila" - Denzil Best (drums)
David Kikoski "Consequences" - Jeff Tain Watts (drums)
Soren Nissen "Departures" - Ian Wright (drums)
- And today's Final Word go to pianist Benny Green with some sage advice for anyone who is really interested in playing Jazz music:
Thanks again for checking back and for all your continued support.
Please enjoy the rest of your summer and see you in September!