WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Cobb Special

A post shared by Four on the Floor (@fouronthefloorblog) on

It's been a while since I've posted one of these...so here you go!

This is a pattern that I like to play and that I often get asked about. This pattern is inspired by some things I transcribed from Jimmy Cobb on the Joe Henderson album "Four". Keep in mind that this is NOT what Cobb played but instead an idea that was derived from something I thought I heard him play. I believe there is great value in transcribing solos and vocabulary from the Masters but I also believe that if you come up with something of your own while doing so, well that's okay too!

The pattern goes by quickly so I alternate between playing it slow, then fast.

The pattern itself is comprised of single strokes. It is a ten-note pattern, divided into four-note then six-note groupings (with an accent on the beginning of each).

In the video above I play the pattern four times, divided around the drums, with a little "bebop" ending to wrap it up. Hope you dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment