WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, July 6, 2020

Eric Binder's 3/4 Rudimental Rundown
























Eric Binder recently released his latest new book, adding to his already impressive collection of self-published drum books. His latest offering is inspired by Alan Dawson's Rudimental Ritual except this is a clever, original version and a variation that features the snare drum rudiments over a 3/4 bass drum and hi-hat ostinato.

I've been shedding these pages over the past month and it's really great, giving my approach to playing rudiments around the drum set a well needed odd-meter facelift. Whenever you practice something you thought you knew already knew in a fresh, brand new way, you are bound to make some progress.

To learn more about Eric's musical activities and for information on purchasing his excellent book check out his website here.

ERIC BINDER INTERVIEW 
3/4 RUDIMENTAL RUNDOWN

1) Tell us all about your new book! What is it all about and what are the goals of your text?

This is a book utilizing the standard PAS (Percussive Arts Society) rudiments. I’ve phrased the rudiments in 3/4 time, with a foot ostinato. This is similar to the Rudimental Ritual in its delivery.

I chose to have master drummer Jason Brown collaborate in writing the foreword for this book. Jason and I have similar approaches with a heavy respect for developing great hands through rudimental and Etude study.

2) What was the motivation and inspiration for putting this together?

As with all of my books, this is material I use in my own practice and with my students. Additionally, presenting the rudiments in 3/4 opens many doors for phrasing. We spend so much time working on our rudiments but rarely do we think about phrasing them in odd meters.

Kenny Washington once commented in a Modern Drummer interview about the importance of developing great hands and studying snare drum literature. This is something a really connect with. It all starts with hand technique. So many drummers today do not spend the time really working snare drum technique.

I think my book adds to the canon of great snare drum studies.

3) How do you recommend students and teachers approach working through this?

One should work on each rudiment (or exercise as I wrote it) individually. You have to master each one singly before moving forward. The entire book is meant to be played as one long exercise so you really have to work to get all of these exercises up to a comfortable tempo.

Once you can play all exercises in succession (at the same tempo) add the foot ostinato. Then, make up new foot ostinatos to play under it!

4) What future book projects do you have in mind?

I have so much material from my own practice and teaching. I hope to slowly continue to transfer stuff into books. Currently I’m working on Volume II of my snare drum Etude book. I am also working on a drum set technique book focusing on facility in a jazz setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment