WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Joe Harris - Still Swingin' at 82

Joe Harris is a great jazz drummer who was well known back during the 1940s and 50s during the Bebop era. He played with the seminal Dizzy Gillespie Big Band and all the other Bop heavyweights of the time. I haven't heard much of him, but always enjoyed what I did. I think he might have switched careers at some point (?) However, Joe is still alive and I recently found this clip of him swingin' like mad...at 82 years young !

Let's hope that we all live that long AND sound that good when we reach there !

Here's a clip of Joe Harris from 1947 with the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band playing "Salt Peanuts".



And here's a recent video of Joe laying it down.

Jazz Legend Joe Harris- Drum Solo

7 comments:

  1. Joe Harris is one of the most unerappreciated bebop drummers EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Harris, my MAN! The media and business are to blame. It is hard to be appreciated if they don't know you or think you are a money maker. So many unknowns out there, still working, well into their 80's and 90's! Most are "SWINGING", few are 'rocking.' (I wonder why?)
      Stay healthy Joe, we need you! Love to you and your talent. Persevere and keep swingin'!

      Delete
  2. MAN STILL PLAYS HIS FANNY OFF! ABSOLUTELY A TREMENDOUS PLAYER.............................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Harris, a diamond in the rough area of Jazz. He still plays and stands for great artistry. The last post from August 2012 said it all.
    I wish you good health and a longer life.
    This man could do it all, from computers with IBM to tubs. Thank you for being an inspiration and mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe Harris visited the University of Pittsburgh jazz band in around 1969 or 1970 when the great Nathan Davis was first directing the jazz program at pit. I got to stand literally at his shoulder and watch him play stunningly swinging time. I still "pump" my ride cymbal arm like I saw do that day. A truly great player and a genuine legend in the tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The great Joe Harris visited the University of Pittsburgh jazz band in 1969 or 1970 at the invitation of the equally great reedman, Nathan Davis, who had just begun directing the jazz program at Pitt. I had the privilege of standing at Joe's shoulder while he played the most powerful I had, at that time, ever heard up close. I still "pump" the right arm like I saw him do that day. A true legend of jazz drumming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unless I'm getting utterly senile (I am up there!) I recall Jose Harris playing with Stan Getz Quartet in Jazzcafe Montmartre, Copenhagen, in the early 60'ies. Strangely enough I can't find any info on that on the net.
    Erik Pedersen, Denmark

    ReplyDelete