WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Billy Hart!


I came away inspired following my conversation with Quincy Davis on Tuesday evening. Quincy was gracious enough to appear as a guest on my Four on the Floor *Live* series happening via Instagram IGTV Live (stay tuned for future episodes as I am attempting to present these every Tuesday!)
Anyways, Billy Hart's name came up (he was Quincy's teacher during his time at Western Michigan University) and I thought I would dig up and share a few interviews and clips of the Master himself.
 
- Pablo Held offers this excellent interview with Billy Hart:

 

- An interview segment for the NAMM Oral History Project 

- Billy offers his take on "uniqueness":

 

- And finally, some footage of Jabali with Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band, filmed in Paris circa. 1972:


This is really beautiful music!

*BONUS!* 

Here is that EXPLOSIVE clip of Roy Haynes with Chick Corea, Christian McBride and Kenny Garrett that I mentioned during my conversation with Quincy:

 
Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment