WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Return of the Four-Limbed Monster!









Further to my post from last week, here's a few more comping exercises in the same spirit as the ones I shared before (btw the fellow above was not impressed that Mr. Octopus got all the attention last time, so here he is to set us straight...and if you haven't checked out "4-Way Coordination" by Dahlgren & Fine, you should!)

As with my previous exercises, I find these really help with my sense of balance while developing 4-limb coordination.

Play both of these exercises with the standard ride cymbal rhythm over top.

Exercise #1





Exercise #2









As before, these are a series of syncopated figures organized in three-beat phrases that create an over-the-bar-line loop. 

You should also practice these rhythms with just the snare, bass drum and hi-hat individually with the ride cymbal. You could even play them between two limbs as well. 

As I mentioned before, the orchestration between the snare, bass drum and hi-hat isn't by accident and intentionally by design. Have you figured out the logic of each example yet?

These are also helpful ways to integrate your hi-hat into your timekeeping/comping phrases (i.e. Roy Haynes, Alan Dawson, Bill Stewart, etc.)


Play it slow.

Balance the limbs dynamically.

Use a metronome.

Relax and strive for a sense of flow.

Make it swing!



* If you have any questions please let me know!*

** If you might be interested in taking a lesson with me and learn about more exercises and concepts such as these and more, drop me a line and we'll connect!!**

*** Don't forget to subscribe to my mailing list on the right hand side of the page!!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment