WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, November 19, 2020

FOLI (there is no movement without rhythm)












I shared this one several years ago (10 years ago in fact!) but I keep on returning to it and find it compelling and inspiring. This short film also comes up in conversation from time to time with several of my colleagues in the dance world so I figured I would share this once again.

 

 "Life has a rhythm, it's constantly moving.

The word for rhythm (used by the Malinke tribes) is FOLI. 

It is a word that encompasses so much more than drumming, dancing or sound. 

It's found in every part of daily life. 

In this film you not only hear and feel rhythm but you see it. 

It's an extraordinary blend of image and sound that 

feeds the senses and reminds us all how essential it is." 

- Thomas Roeber


*Hey don't forget to subscribe to my mailing list on the right hand side of the page for regular blog post updates!*


No comments:

Post a Comment