WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, October 12, 2020

Matt Wilson on Melodic Drumming

During the Spring of 2011 I traveled to New York City and interviewed many of the world's greatest jazz drummers, soliciting their thoughts and opinions on the concept of "Melodic Drumming". This information formed the nucleus of my doctoral dissertation that I completed through the University of Toronto in 2015 (you can check that out here). 

All the drummers that I interviewed were very generous with their time and information including my good friend Matt Wilson. I've known Matt for many years and I very was fortunate to study with him for a period of time in 2004 thanks to a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts.

I was rummaging through an old hard drive the other day and came across these videos, taken in Matt's basement, of him demonstrating some of his approaches to dealing with melody on the drums.

The clips are brief and somewhat incomplete as most of the commentary is missing (!) however, it is what it is and I think his drumming speaks for itself.

Anyways, here is what I have and I hope you dig it (thank you Matt for allowing me to share these!)

No comments:

Post a Comment