WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Jochen Rueckert's Instructional Videos *UPDATE*























If you check out the sidebar of this blog, you'll notice the banner and link to Jochen Rueckert's series of instructional videos. These are really great and I highly recommend them.

Jochen has just informed me that he's having a 25% off sale until January 1st, 2020 so I would jump on that if I were you...Use "HOLIDAY SPECIAL" as the discount code.

This discount is also good for everything for sale on his website, including his four e-books.

You should also check out his new album Favours by his alter-ego Wolff Parkinson White:
https://wolffparkinsonwhite.bandcamp.com/album/favours

Here's the link in case you are too lazy to click on the link on the side of the screen: https://www.jochenrueckert.net/#instructional-videos

And here is a breakdown of each episode by topic and content (descriptions provided by Rueckert himself!):

"The first episode focuses on improving your general time, swing feel, feathering the bass drum and some tips on playing fast.

The second episode contains pretty much everything I have to say about playing the brushes.

The third episode is a collection of things I hear people doing all wrong, over and over...

The fourth episode focuses on the way I like to practice improvising and soloing.

The fifth episode focuses on everything connected to touch and sound, including the ways I hold a stick, where I hit a cymbal, but also what cymbals and sticks I use, for example.

The sixth episode focuses on getting comfortable in odd meters like 5/4 and 7/4 as well as more composite time signatures, like 15/8.

The seventh episode offers some thoughts on how to interact in a band, some tips on playing in 2, and how to navigate original music.

The eighth episode outlines my general influences as a composer (especially besides jazz) and offers some thoughts about four of my songs from We Make the Rules including Alloplasty, Yellow Bottoms, Saul Goodman and Pretty From Afar.

The ninth episode focuses on background and analysis of four songs off my album Charm Offensive: Purring Excellence, 5-Hydroxytryptamine, Stretchmark, Charm Offensive, as well as Hayden Chisholm's arrangement of "Just friends" from my very first album Introduction.

The tenth episode focuses on answering the question : "Who are your greatest influences as a drummer?" I discuss all of the ones that made a big impact on me, especially when I was in my early 20's, try to explain why and also give listening examples. The email that you will get from the store will have a list of each drummer's records that I listened to a lot."

- Jochen Rueckert

No comments:

Post a Comment