Man, this Fall has really been flying by lately but I've been fortunate to have been on the go recently with clinics, private students, and a steady stream of gigs with the Saskatoon Jazz Orchestra and, most recently, former CBC Jazz radio host Tim Tamashiro and his new show "When You're Smiling". Anyways, still lots of interesting things to share with you all these days and here's what we've got in store for you in this month's instalment of The Monday Morning Paradiddle. Enjoy!
- Thanks to Four on the Floor correspondent Tim Mah for passing along this feature on Chicago's Makaya McCraven from Rolling Stones magazine: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/makaya-mccraven-universal-beings-interview-746144/?fbclid=IwAR2ZGoVfA3mvHmCk7H838iEIDmVJB1oZS1F941SUPLKpHo2w_9vjYoac0Ew
- An older Modern Drummer feature on Canadian Jazz legend Terry Clarke:
- WBGO's Nate Chinen on new music from five different notable drummer/composers:
- Lenny White interviews Jeff "Tain" Watts over at his podcast iyouwee: http://iyouwee.com
- Here's Rudy Royston on his latest offering "Flatbed Buggy":
- Billy Hart recently visited Western Michigan University. Read all about it here:
- A article on Joey Baron from Downbeat magazine:
- Mike Clark interviewed by Modern Drummer magazine:
- Here's the trailer for the new upcoming Paul Motian documentary!
MotianInMotion_Alternate_Trailer_ from Michael Patrick Kelly on Vimeo.
- A pair of tributes from Hudson Music, originally used for Zildjian's 375th Anniversary concert in 1998 featuring Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Louie Bellson and Roy Haynes!
- Dan Weiss doing his thing in an urban basketball court:
- Thanks again to Tim Mah for sending along this TEDx talk which is certainly worthy of taking a good look at in this day and age:
- A Neon Jazz interview with Kobie Watkins on the heel of his recent release "Movement":
- When people talk about Philly Joe Jones, this particular track often enters into the conversation (and for good reason!):
- Finally, check out this groovy clip of Geoff Clapp in the studio from awhile back:
I've been taking FaceTime lessons with Geoff lately and he is a great teacher and I highly recommend connecting with him. Contact him via Facebook and schedule an on-line lesson asap. You won't regret it!
- What am I listening to these days?
Time Warp "There and Back" - Barry Elmes (drums)
John Wadham "Drums and Friends" - John Wadham (drums)
Willies Jones III "Groundwork" - Willie Jones III (drums), Warren Wolf (vibraphone)
Donny McCaslin "Give and Go" - Gene Jackson (drums)
Peter Beets "New York Trio" - Willie Jones III (drums)
Bud Powell "Portrait of Thelonious" - Kenny Clarke (drums)
Lee Morgan "The Procrastinator" Billy Higgins (drums)
- And today's Final Word goes to pianist and Jazz Messenger Benny Green who, lucky for us, often shares some great gems of wisdom via his Facebook page:
"Preparation" by Benny Green
"If anyone asked me then and if anyone asks me now, why I moved to New York City in 1982, it was always to become a Jazz Messenger.