WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, September 4, 2017

Shannon Powell Speaks














New Orleans drummer Shannon Powell (The "King of Treme") is an important drummer in my own early development. During the early 1990s when I was first developing ears for Jazz music, Powell was the first Jazz drummer that I saw on television. It was on a Harry Connick Jr. New Year's Eve special from London, England that featured Connick's big band with string orchestra and trio featuring Ben Wolf on bass and Powell on drums. I was quite impressed and inspired by Shannon's Powell's drum feature on Connick's up tempo arrangement of Stompin' at the Savoy and for me the rest, as they say, was history...

Thanks to the kind folks over at the University of New Orleans, here's an hour long masterclass with his majesty:

No comments:

Post a Comment