WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Jerry Granelli on Drums

Jerry Granelli and his trio have been touring across Canada this month, playing the music from "A Charlie Brown Christmas." I missed their Calgary show as I was playing a xmas themed Jazz show with my own big band at the same time (!) but fortunately I came across this recent footage of Granelli improvising at the drums:



I'm really intrigued by the very fluid and graceful manner in which he hits the drums. It's almost like watching a painter in action, spreading colours across a very large canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Jerry Granelli and bassist Charlie Haden backed pianist Denny Zeitlin on a 1967 Columbia album, "Live at the Trident." That album -- and Jerry's drumming -- were a big influence on me. Thanks for posting another valuable clip, Jon. http://a.co/5cUGoXv

    ReplyDelete