Monday, March 28, 2016
The Monday Morning Paradiddle
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. Here's the latest offerings in Jazz Drumming that the Easter Bunny brought for us yesterday…
- This footage of Billy Higgins with Cedar Walton's band has been making the rounds lately and definitely worth taking the time to check out:
Make sure to check out the wealth of other great concerts from this collection as well. Thanks to Adam Nussbaum for passing this one along.
- A nice feature on former Count Basie drummer and long-time drummer with Tony Bennett, the great Harold Jones:
- Danny D'Imperio offers a feature on the great swing drummers and some priceless stories over at his own podcast "Who Dat?":
- An older Jazz Times article featuring Charles Lloyd and Billy Higgins:
- A nice little introduction to playing the brushes that someone sent me and I thought I would share:
- A wonderful feature on the legacy of the VillageVanguard Jazz Orchestra from PBS:
The VVJO is celebrating 50 years of Monday nights at the Village Vanguard. They are always top on my list to go hear whenever I happen to be in New York City on a Monday evening.
The band (featuring John Riley on drums) will also be performing in Calgary, AB in a few weeks, this coming April, so I'm looking forward to hearing this great band in my hometown very soon.
- Thanks to John Riley who passed along this very impressive performance of Ruben Bellavia performing a Tony Williams transcription:
This is what you can achieve if you work hard and practice folks!
- Steve Fidyk offers this quick up-tempo brush lesson:
- A per usual, when the Master's speak….we listen. Here's Louis Hayes interviewed by Susan Brender:
- Not the greatest footage but here's Jack DeJohnette on drums with tap master Savion Glover (from Ornette Coleman's funeral):
Apparently these two have been touring lately as a duet. Let's hope some kind of proper recording is in the works. When I inquired with my dance colleagues they quickly described Glover as "The greatest living tap dancer IN THE WORLD today!".
George Colligan speaks to this collaboration over at his blog Jazz Truth:
- Billy Martin and Allen Herman give us a taste of their new project, "Life on Drums (and Beyond)":
I'm looking forward to this follow-up to Martin's previous venture, "Life on Drums".
- A brief peek at Joshua Redman's latest project "Still Dreaming" with Brian Blade on drums:
- What am I listening to these days?
Ralph Moore "Rejuvenate!" - Marvin Smitty Smith (drums)
Conrad Herwig "Reflections" - Jeff Tain Watts (drums)
Claude Williamson Trio "Round Midnight" - Mel Lewis (drums)
Alan Jones Sextet "Storyline" - Alan Jones (drums)
Kenny Burrell "A Night at the Vanguard" - Roy Haynes (drums)
Red Garland "Swingin' on the Corner: Live at the Keystone Corner" - Philly Joe Jones (drums)
- And today's Last Word goes to the late Dennis Irwin:
Thank you to Adam Nussbaum for passing along this gem.
Thanks again to you all for checking out my blog. See you all again real soon!