WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Billy Drummond on Dubai




















Just a short one today, but here's Billy Drummond with a quick demonstration of his unique drum beat for his original 7/4 composition "Dubai":



This album, and Billy's drumming in general, was quite influential to me during the late 90s. He was easily one of the first "current" Jazz drummers that I heard that I really identified with. He really had his own original sound and a modern concept but it was also clear to me that he had really checked out the tradition and, to my ears anyways, represented a real continuation of all the older Jazz drummers I had been checking out and studying to that point. I've always been a big fan of his playing and this morning the clip above put a smile on my face.

Oh yeah, Billy also has very good taste in old drums and cymbals!

I only have one question after seeing this: Where is the rest of this interview? Please share this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment